Why in Jena?
The Microoptics Conference (MOC) takes place in Germany for the second time in its history. As in 2004, Jena was again chosen as the venue for the MOC.
Jena is known as City of Light – as an optical and photonics location with light competence for over 170 years, it is the cradle of the optical industry in Europe and stands for technology, science, innovation and progress.
Important locations for the MOC2022
1) New building of Friedrich Schiller University,
Carl-Zeiss-Strasse 3, 07743 Jena
Am Planetarium 5, 07743 Jena
3) Historical building of Friedrich Schiller University,
Fuerstengraben 1, 07743 Jena
4) Train station “Jena Paradies”
The MOC2022 will mainly take place in the new building of Friedrich Schiller University Jena. It is located in the city center of Jena at Ernst-Abbe-Platz.
Address: Carl-Zeiss-Strasse 3, 07743 Jena
How to reach jena and the main venue
- Starting from Leipzig/Halle (LEJ) you can reach Jena via train station “Jena Paradies”.
(public transport: approx. 2 h)
Or by car on the A9 motorway to the south (direction Munich) up to the Hermsdorfer Kreuz. Here you have to change the motorway, follow the A4 motorway westward (direction Frankfurt) and leave it at the exit Jena-Zentrum, further see car.
- Starting from airport Munich (MUC) you can reach Jena with ICE train with a change at Nürnberg (Hauptbahnhof, main stration) or at Erfurt (Hauptbahnhof, main station). Further see bus/train.
(public transport: approx. 4 h)
- Starting from airport Berlin (TXL, SHX) or airport Frankfurt (FRA) you can reach Jena with ICE train with a change at Erfurt (Hauptbahnhof, main station). Further see bus/train.
(public transport: approx. 3,5 h)
- Or starting from airport Erfurt (ERF) you reach Jena by train at station “Jena West”.
(public transport: approx. 1,5 h).
Or by car on the A4 motorway direction Dresden to exit Jena-Zentrum, further see car.
Leave the A4 motorway at the exit Jena-Zentrum. From there, take the expressway (Stadtrodaer Straße, federal street B88) towards the center. At the end of the road you will pass under a railway bridge – there turn left onto Knebelstraße and straight on until you reach a rotary. Take the first exit, Ernst-Haeckel-Straße and drive straight on at the next traffic light crossing. Shortly after follows another traffic light crossing that you will take straight ahead. After about 150 m there is an access road to a hotel on the right side, then you will see a crosswalk on the street, where you turn to the right into Carl-Zeiss-Straße. After about 200 m you can see the back of the university on the right hand side.
Close to the university there are several parking facilities. All parking spaces are subject to charges.
Large parking area
- Eichplatz (navigation: Eichplatz, 07743 Jena)
Underground car parks e.g.:
- Neue Mitte Jena (navigation: Leutragraben 1, 07743 Jena)
- Goethe Galerie (closes at 11 pm; navigation: Ernst-Abbe-Strasse 15, 07743 Jena)
- If you take the route from west to east (e.g., from Erfurt), leave the train at “Jena West”. Leave the train station on the side of the train station building. Go left down the street. On the right side you will see the bus stop “Westbahnhofstraße”. You can enter every bus with direction “Stadtzentrum”. Leave the bus at “Stadtzentrum”. Change the side of the street and follow the tram tracks to the left. Go over the traffig light crossing and through the underpass next to the tracks. Behind the underpass you will see the university at the campus Ernst-Abbe-Platz.
- If you take the route from north to south (e.g., from Nürnberg) you will arrive at the station “Jena Paradies”. Then go to the tram station “Jena Paradies” right next to the train station and take tram number 5 (direction Ernst-Abbe-Platz). Step off the tram at Ernst-Abbe-Platz. There is the campus of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena. From the train station to the university you can also walk in about 10 minutes.